Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


Well, I FINALLY got the right cable (モジュラーケーブル) and signed up for JENS. So I'll have the internet at home as of this afternoon/evening. Yay! No more wasting time at work, writing emails and updating my LJ. I can just cut out early and do all that shit at home while I draw or watch TV or do whatever. Also got a splitter so I don't have to unhook my phone to use the internet (not that I ever use that phone anyway).

This weekend was one perpetual outing. I'm completely exhausted.

But first: Cool Shirts of the Day! (Saw quite a few new ones today, thanks to the new students).


Talk at the devil and he will appear
Talk at the devil and he will appear


Reality can destroy the dream
Why shouldn't the dream destroy reality?

Yay bad English!

So, anyway, I crashed wicked-early on Friday night because I was completely wasted from that damn Eihan meeting (although it only went until 6:45pm, so it COULD have been worse)--which means I went to bed at 11pm.

Got up around 11am Saturday morning (I REALLY needed those 12 hours of sleep) and made an easy breakfast and started cutting out colorful pictures in magazines to cover up my walls. Headed over to Mary's at 1:10pm for the kimono-wearing tea-ceremony thingy. Had three women put a kimono on me (although I could have done it myself), and they kept complaining the whole time that I was too big, so I apologized in Japanese for being so fat and they said that it wasn't that at all--it was that the kimono they were putting on me had been made by one lady's mother when she was about 13 years old (so not only was it Japanese-sized, but it was early-teen Japanese-sized). Pretty good cover, if you ask me. They complimented me on my intonation and stuff--which was a really nice compliment and meant that they meant what they were saying (as opposed to "typical" Japanese compliments which mean that your Japanese sucks and you should be deported with all the rest of the damn foreigners). Then Mary did a type of tea ceremony where you put a LOT of tea powder in a bowl and add a few drops of hot water and get TEA SLUDGE. Thankfully, only the Japanese women had to drink that (any more than five cups of the stuff and you can't sleep for DAYS). It was neat, though, because they all had green teeth for a while after drinking the stuff. Us foreign chicks (Cheryl, Mika, Kara, Un-hi, and I) had the thin tea (normal stuff), which Mary made in a separate ceremony. And we all (re-)studied the proper way to drink the damn stuff. We also had these really great Japanese sweets beforehand (no anko, thank God) that weren't super-sweet like they usually are. The tea wasn't bitter at all, either. The foreigners all sat at a table, and my kimono kept trying to slide open at the knees.

The first set of sweets we had was just a single piece with clear, sticky, sweet rice at the bottom, and mildly-sugary layers at the top (a layer of green and a layer of purple or yellow sugar-stuff). The second set was these little balls covered in 抹茶 (condensed green tea powder) that had a dry, white filling with a tiny cube of chestnut inside (thankfully, it didn't taste like chestnut). The damn powder, though, got EVERYWHERE and I couldn't get it off my fingers. There were also other candies beside the balls that were different bright colors. One type was blades of grass (that's the one I picked--it had a slightly spicy flavor and was rock-hard, but good). The other three types were the helmet, breastplate, and skirt of samurai armor in yellow, green, and pink, respectively. We all had a second bowl of tea and it was really nice. Then we got out of those darn kimono (you can't actually EAT anything in them) and the ladies left (Mary teaches them English--the youngest is about 48 or so) and then Mary made cherry turnovers (they were SO GOOD!)

Bye-bye, diet.

Then Cheryl and Mika left, and Un-hi (I have no idea how to spell her name) asked us to come to her house for dinner. She's Derrick's wife (she's Korean) and she made this FABULOUS Korean dinner for us. There were FOUR different kinds of kim-chi (I didn't even know there were different kinds until that night). And Mary gave each of us a bag of Korean seaweed (mine!mine!mine!) which is WAAAAAY better than anything they sell here in Japan. It's heavenly. I REALLY want to go to Korea now. Derrick and Kara argued all night, after Derrick got a little drunk, and Un-hi and Mary and I just sort of talked around them. Dong-Jin was there (I remember his name and could even pronounce it right, but he had NO idea what my name was, which was sad). I had met him at that after-party at Sarah's house when Steve Larson told me he wanted to kiss me (told Carolyn that story today and she was TOTALLY grossed out). He (Dong-Jin, not Steve) is only two years younger than me and is REALLY CUTE!!! Yay, Korean boys!!!

So, we had this potato-stew and kim-chi and seaweed and rice and this fabulous stew and the meat that's been really processed (naturally) but was AMAZING and some sort of stir-fry-looking stuff that was great, too. And it was REAL FOOD--unlike Japanese food--and it stayed with me until the next day. Derrick warned us, though, to chew up our kim-chi carefully, otherwise we'd be sick on the toilet.

Un-hi is the most beautiful woman I have EVER seen. You can't help but stare at her. I'm STRAIGHT and I can't help but stare at her. Her nose is perfect. It's truly amazing. It's like somebody drew her or painted her and she's not really there at all.

Talked and drank and argued until 1am. (Ouch.) Didn't get to bed until 3am. Got up at 11am to call the fam.

On Sunday we all met at 1pm and then went to Osaka, to show Kara around (she's the new associate professor or whatever at the KG grad school). We went everywhere. We started at some Seijo Something-something international grocery store in the bottom of Umeda Station which had PIMENTO-STUFFED SPANISH OLIVES!!! JOY!!! I LOVE those things and I've looked EVERYWHERE for them. They also had some low-fat fruit/grain breakfast bars (blueberry ones and strawberry ones). Then we went to Subway (oooooh, I miss Subway). It's pretty expensive, but totally worth it. And they have many of the same flavors that they have in the States. I got the roast beef sandwich (my baby--ew, that sounds like I eat my baby--gross). Then I hit Uni Qlo again and Kara went to the Snoopy store in the Hep Five building and the rest of the gang went to Starbucks. After Uni Qlo, I went to the Hep Five building and was looking at the directory, trying to find where Starbucks was and this cute white guy (they had apparently hired him to help out foreign visitors) came up and asked if I needed help).

Oooh, he was cute. I see why they hired him. So I headed up the escalator to Starbucks (7th floor) and looked down and saw these two Japanese girls wave at the cute while guy and giggling uncontrollably when he waved back.

Osaka girls are SO stupid. I mean they are SO stupid. 何かバカあげやな。

Then everybody met back up and we headed to Yodobashi Camera (my home away from home) and I bought that cable I needed and a new vacuum cleaner bag. Kara bought an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (PSC) and a floor lamp, I think. Then we went back to Umeda Station and had a second lunch (I got the Strawberry Yogurt thingy that was like yogurt that had been frozen with a scoop of ice cream in the middle and strawberries carefully arranged on top--it was good, but it was classic Japanese weird). Everybody else had pasta--Un-hi got the same thing I did.

Then we all headed back to Kotoen and hit the grocery store on the way back, so we could see where Mary picked up the ingredients for her cherry turnovers.

Got home, had a simple dinner, set up and signed up for the internet on my computer, exercised, and got to bed pretty late.

I'm wiped out.

Thankfully, Thursday is a national holiday, Friday is a joke (we check the students' health--I'm administering the eye test--that sounds like MIB), then we have a fire drill, unless it rains, in which case we'll watch a movie (which is far more important when it comes to our safety than a damn fire drill--eh-hem). Saturday and Sunday are off, as are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (national holidays). Most places get that Friday off, too, and travel. It's called Golden Week ('cuz it's the only time of the year when you don't actually have to work), but my school is the devil, so we don't REALLY get that Friday off.

Those bastards.

Latest Month

September 2006
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow