Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Last Weekend

Mostly, my weekend consisted of Saturday's events, since Sunday was spent resting and trying to relax before the new week started.

On Saturday morning, I got up early, biked to Nishi-Kita Station, lied about where I was going (you're only allowed to park your bike there if you're going to shop at the stores there, but I was going to shop there later, so it wasn't a total lie) and went to the hospital for my doctor's appointment. Things went fine, I barely had to wait 15 minutes to see the doctor, and there weren't any really crazy people wandering around (they're only open on Saturday by special appointment). Dr. Kokai let me see him on a Saturday because I'm busy with work all the other times. We talked about traveling and how hard it is to do now: customs is the devil. He said that he was in Germany last month, and he had a little knapsack and was wearing a ballcap and the customs officers thought he was a terrorist. When they asked him where he was going to go after being in Munich, he explained that he was going to London. Then they got super-suspicious and started hammering him with questions about his itinerary and purpose for being in Germany, etc. Poor guy. I explained that customs sucks going into the States, even if you're an American. The last time I went home, this bitch at customs kept asking me these awful questions like, "So, why are you living in Japan? You work in Japan, huh? So, what do you do there? Why aren't you living in the States?" stuff like that. I answered, "'Cuz there aren't any JOBS in America these days." She couldn't argue with that. Look at her: she's an evil customs official.

So Dr. Kokai and I set another appointment and he gave me tons of meds and I was out of there and back at Nishi-Kita by 11:30 or so. Did lots and lots of shopping at ACTA and bought all kinds of shit that I probably don't need (but those little mushroom poofy-thingies are so good!) and biked home. I washed my face (I've gotten into this kick where I wash my face 2-3 times a day--hopefully that'll help with the acne), put on shorts and a tank top, and played around with my computer for awhile. At about 3pm or so, I started getting ready to leave. I got all dressed up (I wore that pink-striped shirt over a black tank top, black pants, chandelier earrings, my strappy tan sandals, and that watch that Laurie gave me), and put on some makeup and put my hair in a ponytail and looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked like a fucking candy cane.

I filled my new purse (I had just bought it that day) with all my shit and picked up my parasol (bought it that day, too--it doubles as an umbrella) since it was sunny in Nishinomiya but was supposed to rain in Kyoto (like it always does) and headed out the door. I was strikingly aware of the fact that I looked like a moron, but I just kept going. By the time I got to the station, my feet were already sore from the sandals, and I was about to break into a sweat. I KNEW I should have worn my leather boots and a skirt instead.

I ended up missing every single train I was trying to catch. Getting to Kyoto is such a pain. It took me exactly 2 hours to get from my front door to the International Community House. As I was walking up to the door, I heard my name. I turned around and it was Dr. Copeland!!! I was so happy to see her! We talked about her coming to Japan this fall and as soon as we walked in to the building, we ran into Marcus-sensei!!! She gave me a big hug and explained that I was the #1 person on her "People I need to email back" list. I told her not to worry about it.

It turned out that we were in the wrong part of the building (along with several other people), so we went over to the right place (it was where we'd had the closing ceremony for KCJS13). I started to fill out a name card and looked over and Jess was right beside me! She looked great: she was all tan from her work in Okinawa. She got a Fulbright and has been studying Okinawan culture and shit there. She has a car and everything and drives herself around everywhere (although, in Okinawa, a car seems like something you'd need). We started talking, and then Jessi came up--wine glass in hand--and gave us each a hug. She looked great (and I still looked like a fucking candy cane). The party got started and McWhat'sHisFace (I totally forgot his name) started one of his famous speeches. It went on forever. At one point, Jess, Jessi, and I looked out the window and saw Jennifer running for the building (it had started to rain a little). Her hair was back in a short ponytail (totally different from how it was before), and she looked great. Everybody looked great, 'cept me.


Fucking candy cane.

So, then, somebody had the great idea to make everybody who'd been a KCJS student get up there and make a brief speech about themselves and what they've done since finishing at KCJS. It started with KCJS1 and went through to this year, KCJS15. Needless to say, it took a little while. There were a LOT of 1'ers there, nobody from '7--I think--and a smattering of people in the middle. I thought that with the four of us, we did a pretty good job of representing '13. Although the list of accomplishments got thinner with each passing group. The poor people from '15 were like, "Yeah, hopefully I'll graduate from college next year." Doesn't sound so snazzy, compared with some 1'ers: "And I have my doctorate and am married and our third child is on the way and I make a million dollars a year and Harvard wants me."

Oooh, gotta get to a meeting. Will finish writing about this later.

Latest Month

September 2006
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow